All students in both the Computer Engineering Technology degree and the Digital Simulation and Gaming Engineering Technology degrees are required to purchase a laptop computer for use in their classes. This requirement went into effect Summer 2012.
Many vendors offer academic discounts to university students. See the respective vendors' websites for more information on how to take advantage of these.
- CPU: Almost any relatively recent CPU will be adequate (where "recent" means "no more than two or three years old").
Recommended: Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 families, or any currently shipping AMD CPU with the exception of AMD Sempron or AMD Turion K8-E.
- Memory (RAM): Minimum of 2GB. Recommended: 4GB.
- Hard Drive: At least 250GB recommended.
- Video: For CET students, either integrated (Intel) or discrete (nVidia or AMD/ATI) will suffice. For Digital Simulation & Gaming students, some classes will require discrete video; a DirectX 11/OpenGL 4 class GPU is recommended.
- Networking: The Advanced Technology Center provides 802.11b/g/n wireless networking (2.4GHz and 5GHz). For maximum flexibility, the availability of wired (Ethernet) networking is recommended.
- For CET students, any currently shipping or recent Macbook will suffice.
- For Digital Simulation & Gaming students, it is strongly recommended that you obtain a machine with discrete graphics.
Copyright © Shawnee State University. All rights reserved. For assistance, e-mail email@example.com.